It's finally here, the fun time of year where everyone is rushing around like crazy people! Christmas can mean so many things to so many people. For some it is a time of reflection, for those of us with kids or have kids in our lives it is a magical time of Santa, reindeer food and magic elves that fly to the North Pole every night. For others it can be a sad and lonely time.
No matter what you think of when you think of Christmas, each and every one of us have special memories and holiday favorites. That place our minds go when the word Christmas is even mentioned.
For me some of my most favorite things about the holiday season are these:
# 1 - Special Christmas Tree Ornaments - Every year I complain about how many boxes I have to go through to get all of the decorations down but after I start going through them I'm so glad I did. One of my very favorite things to do each year is to remember as I pull each ornament out. Almost every one takes me back to another place and time and have a story of their own. I have some that were given to me by grandparents as the years have gone by, some remind me of vacations I have taken, some my kids have made over the years and I even have one that went on my Christmas tree as a small child. (This one stops me in my tracks every time) Each one has special meaning and I love, love them!
# 2 - Christmas Cards - This time of year couldn't make me want to stop at the mailbox more. I am so excited each day to open the mailbox to see who's card I might have received today. I love seeing everyones family pictures and to see how much their kids have grown from year to year. I can't ever wait until I get inside to open them either, I open each one sitting in the road and have to ooh and aha about each one. So if you head down my road and I'm stopping traffic please know I am not that excited over my bills!
# 3 - Christmas songs - My all time favorite "real" Christmas song would have to be "Silent Night" this song slows all the hustle and bustle of Christmas down for me and reminds me of the real perspective. It paints a picture of exactly what Christmas should be about. My modern day favorite would be "Tennessee Christmas" even though I am a Kentucky Girl!! I love, love this song and have for years. It's not officially the Christmas season until I hear it on the radio.
# 4 - Would have to be the wonder and excitement through the eyes of a child. Even though Christmas is about so much more than Santa and his sleigh flying across the sky on Christmas Eve to see the excitement as the lights twinkle in their eyes is about the best feeling one could get.
What it all boils down to is Christmas means LOVE! The love in our hearts to give our kids more than we had just to see their eyes light up, the love that slows us down to send a card to our friends we haven't seen in years. The love to open a box of ornaments and take time to remember. The love that your favorite song is playing on the radio and most importantly Christ's gift of love that he has given to each and everyone of us!
Merry Christmas friends, I hope that through the hustle and bustle of the holiday season that you make new traditions and remember the old ones and that it is the best ever!


No comments:
Post a Comment