Sunday, February 27, 2011

My favorite Boy's 1!

We had a super fun time preparing and celebrating Linkoln's 1st Birthday! The theme of his party was "Guess Whoo's 1".  He celebrated in style with our family.

I had seen several of these birthday banners sold on Etsy (My all time favorite website).  I have this new addiction, I like to challenge myself to see if I can make things before I buy it.  Crazy I know, but I love the challenge! :)  Here is my homemade banner. 





My Cricut came in handy for the letters.  I then googled the size of the pendant and used scrapbook paper to cut out the triangles. I  used a hole punch and ribbon to put it all together.  A little ribbon and an owl and I have my banner.  If you are looking for a banner and are feeling crafty you should try it.  It was lots of fun to put together and super easy!

Next came the Owl Cupcakes.  At my daughter's party in November I missed out on so much by cutting cake.  For Linkoln's birthday I decided to keep it simple.  (Yes me I did it, I kept it simple!) and made cupcakes instead. 



Whoo Whoo....


These were so much fun to make and so easy!  I always get so nervous and put so much pressure on myself before making my kids cakes because of course they have to be perfect!  I started by making German chocolate cupcakes but you can use whatever kind of cake mix you want.  Next ice the cupcakes as you normally would, I used chocolate icing.  I then broke open Oreos for the eyes.  I used a dab of chocolate icing on the Oreo to make the M&M stick and then used Reece's Pieces for the nose.  For the eyebrows I piped in chocolate icing using a Wilton's decorators tip and bag.  I think the brown eyed owls look the most like owls but my boy is blue eyed so we had to throw a few of those in there. Then after the blue I figured, why not green?

I did something similar for Linkoln's personal cake.  It didn't look as good as the smaller cupcakes but he didn't mind.



One great big owl cupcake!

Here are some pictures of the event. It was the perfect day!




Great Gifts!


Happy 1st Birthday Linkoln William!
Now time to start thinking about next year's party!



2 comments: